Where ya goin'?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Braided Scarf {FREE PATTERN}

I am currently trying to do some stash busting. I have seen some braided scarves on Pinterest and thought I would make one! I have several skeins of the old Softee Chunky, which are not compatible with the new ones. I don't want to start anything too big, and not be able to finish, so I'm finding little things here and there. Here's the scarf I made:
 

I was worried about how the colors would look braided together, but I think it turned out great! I didn't take pictures or write anything up as I was working on it, because I didn't expect people to ask. :) Here's what I did...

You need:
Bulky yarn
K hook
Needle

** There are really a few different ways you can do this. You can use worsted and a J hook, and just chain more (width will probably be fine, but maybe not length), or you can hold two strands together.
You can use three different colors like I did, or you can use all one color. I saw all one color on Pinterest and it looked awesome!**

Make three (either one in each color, or all in the same color):
Chain 82
R1: Dc in third chain from hook and in each chain across (80)
R2: Chain 2 (does not count as st), turn. Dc in each st across (80)
R3: Repeat R2. With the first two pieces ONLY, fasten off.

When you finish R3 of the third piece, chain 1. DO NOT TURN. 
R1 (perpendicular direction): We are going to crochet down the side (like you're starting a border). Sc across, about 2 sc per dc works well for me (6 total for the first piece). You are going to join the other two strands by sc down their sides as well. See pic:

Sorry for my weaving there... My third strand was the light blue. I sc down the side of the light blue, and then the cream, and then the dark blue. With 2sc per dc row, I ended this new row with 18sc.
 
R2: Chain 1, turn. Sc across (18)
R3: Chain 2 (does not count as st), turn. Dc across (18)
*This row can be used for the button holes.*
R4: Chain 1, turn. Sc across (18)
R5: Repeat. Fasten off. 

I don't have a picture for the braiding, and I apologize for that. If I happen to make another one of these, I'll edit this and include pics. I did take a picture of my scarf laid out that I will include. All I did was set that perpendicular row underneath a heavy book. With my strands laying flat, I braided them loosely and gently, careful not to flip any of them. I actually set each piece down as I braided, to keep it loose and flat. This is what it looks like finished:
 

When I finished braiding, I left the pieces laying flat, and worked the "perpendicular row" at the end the same way. I started with the far right side of the far right piece, joined my yarn, and sc across. I still worked 2sc per dc row and joined the other two strands by sc them the same way. I repeated the same directions from above:
R2: Chain 1, turn. Sc across (18)
R3: Chain 2 (does not count as st), turn. Dc across (18)
*This row can be used for the button holes.*
R4: Chain 1, turn. Sc across (18)
R5: Repeat. Fasten off. 

This is how that end looks (a little prettier without my weaved ends):


 You can kind of see the gaps after the first two and last two dc on each end, where I had it buttoned. I sewed on two buttons, about 3/4" each, on the other end (seen in the very first picture). I like the length, but I suppose it is adjustable if you want to wear it tighter and button it in a dc row of the strands.

Hope this pattern was easy to follow! Pin it if you like it, comment if you love it, just let me know somehow! :) Thank you. :) 

9 comments:

Carol said...

Awesome! You are so talented!!

Crochet Pattern Bonanza said...

Hi, Would you grant me permission to link to your free patterns from crochetpatternbonanza.com along with thumbnail images of your patterns?

Thanks
Rhelena

Kristin said...

Yes, that would be lovely! Thanks for asking. :)

Crochet Pattern Bonanza said...

Thank you so much!! :)

moonbeam said...

So creative! I love it, and my daughter will too :) Thank you for sharing this with us :)

Anonymous said...

I had the same idea but I did not use a button just attached it to the other side and slip over my head:)

tiny t said...

Thanks this one has jumped to top of to do list xx

Hilda said...

I made it tonight with worsted yarn (I only used one strand) and a J needle. I increased the length to 103 chains and it worked out nicely. After braiding it and finishing it, I felt like the braids weren't staying together exactly as I wanted so I may tack them at each cross. This is a cute pattern and so quick. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Hilda said...

The scarf turned out great. I did tack the points where the braid crosses over to help it hold the shape. I can see with bulkier yarn that would not be necessary. I put two interesting buttons on it and I think it looks great when the buttons can be seen.

My New Favorite Muffins

Because of food allergies, we are dairy and egg free. The safest egg replacement options for us are banana and applesauce. So usually our m...